Hecla Mining Company (“Hecla”) and its subsidiaries will be responsible environmental stewards and strive to minimize environmental effects and risks today and for future generations.
To meet our responsibilities, we will provide the necessary resources to:
- Design, operate, close and reclaim our facilities to comply with applicable laws and regulations to meet accepted standards and go beyond when they do not meet Hecla’s values;
- Continuously improve our safe, efficient, and environmentally responsible use of resources, products and materials;
- Promote employee and contractor knowledge capability and accountability in implementation of this policy through use of environmental management systems;
- Conduct periodic environmental reviews and audits of operations and activities to ensure compliance, identify risks, reduce costs and liabilities, and improve sustainable operations;
- Endeavor to reduce energy and water consumption, implementing continuously improving efficiencies into facilities, projects and operations; and,
- Work cooperatively with educational institutions and agencies to research, develop, and use best technological and management practices to reduce environmental impacts.
Each Hecla employee and contractor is responsible for incorporating this Policy into their daily planning and work activities to achieve this commitment.
Hecla’s Board of Directors, through the Health, Safety, Environmental, and Technical Committee, will monitor performance of this Policy.
On behalf of National Mining Association, Luke Russell, Vice President-External Affairs, testifies on Good Samaritan Legislation before the House Water Resources and Environment subcommittee in October 2015.