Hecla Mining Company (Hecla) is committed to responsible mineral development for the benefit of our shareholders, while contributing meaningfully to the sustainable development of the communities in which we conduct business. This encompasses respecting the health and safety of our employees, protecting the environment, respecting local perspectives and developing partnerships to support the economic and social framework of our host communities.
We believe that by engaging and being responsive to community needs, the Company builds trust and relationships that sustain our social license to operate. Being involved and supporting local organizations fosters a mutually beneficial approach to issues affecting employees, the community and the Company. It’s our policy to treat others with respect and engage in open and honest communication.
In meeting this commitment we will directly and through our charitable foundation provide necessary resources to:
- Proactively participate with communities to our mutual benefit today and for future generations;
- Implement ethical business practices;
- Integrate protection of employee health and safety, environmental protection, and community interests into our core business practices;
- Identify and partner with local communities on mutually beneficial opportunities to enhance worker skills, education, employment opportunities, and to support sustainable development initiatives;
- Make meaningful contributions to the host communities in which we operate; and,
- Communicate openly with our employees, contractors, communities and governments regarding our plans and programs.
The Hecla Charitable Foundation was established in 2007 to provide grants and disburse funds for educational and charitable purposes to qualifying 501(c)(3) organizations. The Foundation’s mission is to enhance the quality of life and to promote the social, environmental, and economic sustainability and development of those communities where Hecla has operations and activities. Within this overall mission, the Foundation intends to focus its efforts in four areas: education, community programs, youth activities, and health services.
Organizations seeking grants from the Foundation should contact the Hecla office or facility nearest them. Local Hecla personnel will provide an application and forward recommendations to the Foundation. Grant applications may also be provided directly to the Foundation’s offices (see address below).
The Foundation provides grants to qualified non-profit U.S. and Canadian organizations classified as public charities and tax-exempt under the respective government agency code.
Grant applicants must submit a Foundation Grant Application including a current IRS tax-exempt determination letter.
Before actual submission of an application, you are strongly encouraged to contact a local Hecla employee and discuss your needs. Grant applications that are in turn recommended to the Foundation by Hecla employees in the community have a greater chance of success. Grant applications should be submitted well in advance of funding needs, as there will be limited application review intervals during the year.
Hecla Charitable Foundation Contact
Corporate Communications Coordinator
Hecla Charitable Foundation
6500 North Mineral Drive
Coeur d’Alene, ID 83815-9408