Hecla’s Emergency Covid-19 Response Plans
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have also instituted a number of preventative measures throughout our company and at our mines including:
- Eliminating all non-essential business travel and requiring all travel to be approved by the CEO.
- Instituting self-quarantine measures for anyone who has been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19.
So far, our mines are operating with extensive health measures being implemented to maintain social distancing. On March 25, however, operations at our Casa Berardi Mine, like others in the Province of Quebec, were temporarily suspended until April 13 to meet the Quebec Government’s health order.
We are encouraging our employees to abide by the recommendations of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and by the COVID-19 plans at each site to help reduce the spread of the virus.
We are taking this responsibility very seriously at Hecla and will do our part to keep our workers and our communities safe.
What We Are Doing to Protect our Employees
In order to reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19 among the Hecla Mining Company workforce, each of our mines is implementing specific plans consistent with our health and safety standards as well as with directives and guidelines from our local, national, and global health and governmental authorities. Some examples include:
- We are conducting health screenings of workers when they arrive at work;
- We are routinely disinfecting facilities and equipment;
- We are practicing social distancing procedures by staggering bus and boat schedules for those who take those modes of transportation to the worksite; limiting the number of people on the bus/boat; reducing the number of people in meetings in order to maintain a 6-foot social distance and staggering lunch shifts;
- We are requiring workers to stay home if they have visited a Level 3 country in the last 14 days; have a fever >100.3 Fahrenheit or any respiratory illness symptoms; or have been in contact with a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19;
- We are discouraging visitors to our sites unless essential;
- We continue to emphasize good hygiene practices; and
- We are allowing authorized corporate employees to work from home with approval by their supervisor.
The safety of our people and host communities is our top priority. We will continue to closely monitor the rapidly evolving COVID-19 pandemic and will provide updates as appropriate.